Saturday, January 31, 2009

6k Run Today!!

Well, today was another run that I completed! This time it was a 6k (about 3.7miles). This is the second run in the series called the Mud in Your Eye XC Series.

This run was a little different, I didn't feel as nervous and I felt as if I was really there for a reason. I had my "Rally Athlete" shirt on, my wrist band made of Johnathons t shirt. I was ready.

Again I had just got off of work in the ED after another 11 hour shift. I will have to do this because all the runs I have scheduled are on Saturdays...and I always work Friday nights. So if this is what I need to do, then I have to continue this schedule. As if just running wasn't hard enough.

So I drove to Chesepeake, and of coarse ran into construction, got detoured, lost and then finally found where the run is located.

It was colder this morning and I'm glad I double checked my bag and rememberd to wear warmer clothes.

It is funny to see so many people out for these runs on a freezing January morning, but there was excitement, friends meeting up and people standing around chatting, kids running around. And for a moment I felt very alone.

But like the struggle with Johnathons cancer, the struggle with the loss and greif...I felt alone...even though there were so many people around me.

As the sun was starting to warm the air the race was off. I have been running about 4 miles a day and running one long run of at least 6 miles once a week. So I felt that this should be a nice run.

My intentions of coarse are not on winning or being competitive but I did find myself more motivated as I was moving along at a nice pace. I had this tiny little person pass me by with no effort at all, she was at least half my age and most definatly half my size. I kept pace with her...I'm huffing and puffing and she is out on an early morning stroll. I kept up with her and she kept me motivated.

I finished 8th in my age group and had a personal best pace of 10 min miles. I was excited!!

My next run will be on Valentines Day!! This is a 14k about 8.7miles!! This is the longest run yet!! But as long as I keep moving at the pace I'm going, I will do fine. Just keep putting one step in front of the other!

No comments: